Bridesmaids are usually the bride’s good friend, sister or relations. And there are certainly accesses to be a successful bridesmaid.
What you should do:
1. Buy your bridesmaid dress, shoes, and any other accessories. The bride will buy the dress but at the end of the day you will be the one wearing it and therefore the accessories you wear should come out of your pocket.
2. The final weeks of the wedding can be really stressful for the bride, be supportive and an emotional ‘rock’ to ensure that the bride feels secure and not like everything is about to fall apart around them.
3. Offer to help the bride as much as you can. If she needs someone to run errands, then volunteer. Stuffing invites is a boring job but it needs doing.
4. It is your duty as a bridesmaid to help plan, cohost, and pay for the bridal shower and bachelor party. The bride is only going to be married once, help send her off in style.
5. Anything wedding related you need to attend – the wedding rehearsal and rehearsal dinner. You play a vital role in the wedding as a bridesmaid so you need to be there.
6. Purchase or go in on group gifts. In addition to a wedding present, you will most likely give gifts at the engagement party, bridal shower, and bachelorette festivities.
7. Be there for the bride on the wedding day. Of course you should have a good time, but don’t sneak off on your own in case the bride needs you. The wedding day is about the bride and ONLY the bride.
8. Help the bride get ready before the wedding, and offer to hold on to her makeup bag for touch ups throughout the day. As I said in the previous point the wedding is about the bride.
9. Smile, be polite. Answer any questions that are asked of you. If you don’t know the answer then find out. People know the bridesmaids will know what is going on and so they will automatically come to you. Do not be rude to the bride’s guests.
10. Instigate a packed dance floor at the reception – the guests will take cues from the wedding party. If the guests see you dancing then they will want to as well!